Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Using Elmer's to Glue That Digital Divide Together

Howdy there, studio listeners! Obaratone hopes everything is going well. Before we begin on today's topic of bridging the digital divide in classrooms, I want to point out that if you are not watching the special on the History Channel, WWII in HD, I highly recommend you do. It's amazing to see the footage originally shot in color back to its original form. Though I do not have an HD TV, just seeing everything in color brings a whole new level to WWII, a war that we have only seen in black and white with simple things being shown. Seeing all the carnage that war is puts a new perspective on war in general, especially that one. This could be a great thing to show parts of it in classrooms, providing you get permission. Some of it is a bit graphic, in terms of showing wounded or killed men, but it is very moving and I think it would give students a whole new respect for the war.

Anyway, that was my plug for this week. On to the topic of today, or tonight I should say. That would be the digital divide. We discussed earlier what the digital divide was (didn't we?) and how it is the gap between people who have access to technology and people who don't. This begs the question, is access to technology vital in classrooms? Well, in short, yes! Why wouldn't it be? Why are we still using some books out there that are boring and may contain some information that has become defunct instead of using the wealth of information out there on the internet? I remember having to assignments in school when I was younger and only being allowed to use 1 internet source. Everything else had to be in books. Well that's fine and dandy. Just don't expect me to have numerous good sources. I never got that. So there's a plethora of information out there waiting for us to use and we it's shut off from us because there are some bad websites out there? Excuse me, last time I checked not all books are rated G. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Also consider that school libraries are only open during school hours, and that the only chance to go to it is during school, when teachers won't let you go and there's no other free time. Those libraries also don't necessarily facilitate open learning either, having many strict rules on what you can't do more than what you can do (more info. at bottom.)

Look, technology is essential and necessary to have in classrooms. So much more good comes out over the bad. Now I understand that not all schools are up to par with technology, and that's something I'll deal with. I don't ask for much. All I want is at least one computer or projector and an overhead. The computer can either be provided or I can use my own. The projector can be used to hook up to the computer so I can show pictures, videos, maps, notes, etc. The overhead is so I can have and give notes if I so wish. I will make it work with that. I would like to have access to more computers often since there is a lot on there that I can use with my lessons to teach. A smartboard would be nice, I guess, but not necessary for me. I just need a whiteboard to write on and I'll be fine.

Now what can I do to help bridge that divide? I can always start by asking for more things from the principal and bookkeepers and such. Then I can ask my fellow teachers what I can do help make things better. And of course there is always meetings and committees and talking to the higher ups. How much good that does varies on the district and superintendent. There is also the option of providing things myself for my class. Asking the parents to get involved is an option. Netbooks don't cost that much and I think it's reasonable to ask parents to get one for their kid. These are only some ideas that could work. Here are some ideas that I scrounged up from other teachers.

David Warlick talks about schools having open Wi-Fi in which for kids to use their laptops and smartphones.

The Innovative Educator describes using Ning to keep students engaged and learning over the summer.

Wesley Fryer discusses Oklahoma moving to a 1:1 digital classroom environment.

Doug Johnson uses a library sign to look at how digital learning is frowned upon in schools and libraries are being too restrictive.

Rudd Lucier has a great slideshow about 10 trends that are coming of age in the classroom of tomorrow.

Thank you, peace out.

-JPO

No comments:

Post a Comment